Entertainment in Farnham
There is lots on offer in Farnham and the surrounding area to occupy you when you're not studying.
Eating and drinking
Located in the Quad (just off main reception), UCA's recently refurbished on campus Cafe is open to students, staff and visitors. During the day it offers a 160 seat dining area with hot and cold food and drinks available - including Pizza and Fresh SubStop Deli - from morning into afternoon Mon-Fri. See here for more information (including opening times).In the evenings, the space becomes the Glasshouse - a bar and entertainments venue. Bar facilities on the Farnham campus are run by the SU.
Off campus, whether you're looking for a light bite, a gourmet meal or a good pub lunch, you'll find something to suit all tastes and budgets. Farnham's roots lie in the brewery trade so it's not surprising there are more than 50 pubs to choose from.
- Lion & Lamb Bistro - Just a few minutes' walk away from UCA this little bistro is the perfect place to unwind
- Thai Lotus Land - Authentic Thai food and amazing hospitality
- The Barn - Off beat eco-friendly creative arts club and organic/vegetarian bar. This is a must-do Farnham student experience. Become a member and attend exclusive musical events, film screenings and late-night openings.
Shops in Farnham are pretty individual. The usual mix of chain stores jostles with an extraordinary number of privately-owned businesses. Farnham embraces the individual - in shopping and in spirit. Here are just a few favourites:
- Colours - Run by one of UCA's alumni, this fabulous fashion and gift den is always gloriously colourful
- Gamespod - For all your gaming needs
- 101 Collectors' Records - Seeing is believing - this shop is High Fidelity and then some. Floor to ceiling vinyls and more, you could be gone for days just browsing.
Cinema and theatre
As a student here you'll enjoy exploring the galleries, venues and creative spaces.
- The Maltings - An old brewery turned arts centre and a hub of activity in the town. Boasting a theatre, dance studio, art gallery, café and bar, it plays host to gigs, shows, regular film screenings and a monthly craft market. Check out the comedy club which has seen famous names such as Lee Evans, Sean Lock and Stephen Amos. There are also great studio/exhibition spaces, creative artists' networks and short creative courses available.
- The Odeon - The cinema in Guildford is a short drive away and the closest place to catch the latest film releases and blockbusters. Student discounts available.
Festivals and fairs
Come summertime Farnham is a great base from which to explore the South East's most bohemian and unique festivals, whatever your musical tastes.
- Guilfest - Guildford's three-day music festival boasts household names as well as a comedy tent, theatre performance space, exhibitions, 70s disco and caterers from around the world.
- Blissfields - Boutique festival on a family farm, this is a great way to see your favourite up-and-coming bands.
- Reading Festival - If you like your festivals on the rocky side, with a bit of indie, punk and dance thrown in for good measure, make this a must-visit for the bank holiday weekend.
Pubs and clubs
Farnham offers a diverse and friendly night out including entertainment at the Students' Union. Guildford, Fleet and Aldershot add to the choice.
- The Mulberry - Great venue opposite the train station in Farnham serving gourmet burgers. Late licence Thursday to Saturday with live music and DJs most nights. Student night on Wednesdays
- Jaxx Nightclub - Chart and commercial dance and R&B tunes every Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- The Boileroom - Creative arts music venue in Guildford offering live bands, alternative club nights, open-mic nights and more. They also do amazing noodles!
- The Palace - Converted theatre and cinema in neighbouring Aldershot, bringing you big names in live music and comedy. The Fall were amazing!
Check out our Student life pages for more information.