Entertainment at UCA
There are lots of things to do locally whichever UCA campus you study at.
Eating and drinking
Part of student life at UCA involves meeting up and socialising with your friends on campus. Our Cafes and Bars* provide a welcoming environment and they all offer a broad range of catering options, from a quick coffee or fresh deli sub to a hot meal. Fairtrade products are available and UCA is also committed to its Sustainable Food policy (in conjunction with the UCA Green initiative). The Cafes and Bar have wireless internet connection available too you can even socialise and work in these communal spaces.
If you're looking for options off-campus, whether it's a light bite, a gourmet meal or a good pub lunch, there is something to suit all tastes and budgets. You may want to grab a Haribo or Angel Delight milkshake at the Shake Shed in Canterbury. A cream tea at the Living Rooms in Epsom might take your fancy. Or how about a freshly-made baguette at Lucy's Lunchbox in Farnham? A Latino feel at Mexxa Mexxa in Maidstone? Or a good old curry at the Bengal Brasserie in Rochester?
See the Entertainment section under the relevant UCA campuses page for more details.
Your favourite high street stores compete with independent boutiques and markets to make sure your shopping needs are met just a short walk away from UCA's campuses. For a pick of some of our favourites, take a look at the UCA campuses.
Cinemas, theatres and creative spaces
As a student at UCA you'll enjoy visiting the cinemas, theatres, galleries and creative spaces in all our campus towns. Movie-goers can choose between a box office hit at the local Odeon or an art house film at one of the independent cinemas or arts centres. Alternatively, there are large and small scale theatre productions, cutting edge dramas, classics, comedies, musical theatre, stand up comedy and concerts with great student prices.
Festivals and fairs
In summer, UCA's campuses are great bases from which to explore the South East's bohemian festivals. Music, comedy, food, literature, dance, beer, theatre and arts - there is bound to be an event to suit you.
With an eclectic mix of pubs, clubs and bars, there's always a good night out to be had, whether you want sleek and sophisticated or something a bit more relaxed and laid back.
- With so many students in Canterbury there are plenty of places to suit all tastes including its new nightclub Chill and live music venues such as The Farmhouse
- Epsom has an exciting mix of nightlife, from exclusive cocktail bars like El Papi's to clubs large and small. The delights of Kingston upon Thames are not too far away either
- Farnham's roots lie in the brewery trade so it's not surprising there are more than 50 pubs to drink in. The Students' Union puts on all manner of entertainment and nightlife is also worth a look in nearby Guildford, Fleet and Aldershot.
- Maidstone is the club capital of Kent. As well as all the pubs there are at least 14 venues where you can dance, party and enjoy live music.
- If you're looking for a great night out, Rochester has all sorts of student friendly bars and pubs. Night owls can carry on at The Casino Rooms, the hub of Rochester High Street on a Friday and Saturday night. Alternatively, a five minute walk into Chatham will take you to one of the top live music venues in Medway, the Tap 'n' Tin.
And there is so much more within easy reach - all UCA campuses have fantastic links to London by train. The capital and its unlimited nightlife are less than an hour away.
Canterbury, Maidstone and Rochester are close to several coastal towns and channel ports and the Channel Tunnel connects Folkestone with Calais in just 35 minutes. From Epsom you can explore Kingston upon Thames or Wimbledon, both less than 25 minutes away. Farnham is only a stone's throw from Aldershot and Guildford. Fancy a trip to the seaside? Brighton is between 50 and 80 minutes by coach, car or train from Epsom or Farnham.
Explore UCA campuses for more information.
*Please note: Cafe services at our Maidstone campus are now managed through Mid Kent College